"Happiness will come when you truly get rid of the beliefs that are holding you back" - Linda Chaccour
Don’t you wonder why some people enjoy their lives no matter how challenging the difficulties are, while others cannot find peace no matter how hard they try?
That was the main theme discussed during Emerge coaching 3rd happiness circle which took place on Wednesday September 28th, in Mirdiff. I had the pleasure to welcome 26 fabulous souls, offering an opportunity to connect with self and others at a deeper level, gain insights on why some people are unhappy and what are the major factors that block one's happiness. In this safe environment the women got support, bonded with each other and shared personal stories while learning life changing tools to improve their well-being, so they become stronger beings in their communities and impact others and their fabulous families.
So why some people are happier than others? There are a number of beliefs that are attributed to how unhappy a person may be with their life. I would like to share with you 10 scientifically proven by research happiness myths / beliefs / blocks whatever you would like to name them to give you an ample idea of WHY? The following are the summary of blocks brainstormed during our session:
- Thinking that happiness is a destination: Happiness is a choice, a journey and not a final Destination. Because we are happiness by nature, how can we aim for something we already are and have?
- Putting happiness in the future by adopting the famous “I will be happy when”… When you are caught up in the “I will be happy when”, happiness is always put off in the future, while truly the only time you can actually experience happiness is right here, right now!
- Confusing life pleasures with happiness: Many people believe that happiness is having fun at a party or the delight of a fine meal. These are all wonderful experiences to be cherished and cultivated but they are not happiness. They are only the definition of pleasure and chasing pleasure is not happiness.
- Thinking that money brings happiness: Money can buy happiness, but only if used to do things not to have things. Spending your money on experiences especially with others produce lasting positive emotions that are meaningful.
- Thinking that you should be happy all the time: Give yourself the permission to be human and to experience the full extent of human emotions. Life is a series of ups and downs and it is not reasonable to be happy all the time. Do not fight negative emotions when they are appropriate and don’t tell yourself you shouldn’t be sad when something sad has happened. Learn to process, express positively and accept all your emotions.
- Relying your own happiness on things or on others: We might be naturally motivated to seek out things and people that bring us more intense forms of happiness. However, Happiness is an inside job and doesn’t depend on anything but YOU.
- Wishing things were different: Living in total acceptance of the things we cannot change and control is essential for a happier life.
- Comparing your life and yourself to others: We tend to compare our belongings, status and our relationships with others which creates many negative feelings and thoughts. Living in gratitude helps you stop this destructive habit.
- Getting stuck in your past and thinking too much in the future: Reliving painful memories and past events can affect you emotionally and mentally. You can also bring anxiety and worrying into your life by spending too much time in the future and imagining how your health, your finances or your relationships could fail. Be mindful and live in the present there is no stronger power than the Now!
Defying the negative beliefs that you have around happiness and building constant happiness boosters into your life will put you on the right path to become happier.
Our elected "Happiness Queen" for that 3rd circle knew that, as she listed a great number of rituals and boosters that she wants to incorporate in her life to become happier. Hats off to her!!
Circles are conducted once a month in a friendly environment. You may show your interest to join by email firstname.lastname@example.org
To Your Happiness !!
Founder Emerge Coaching
Life Strategist and Happiness Consultant